How Do You Freeze Kefir Grains?
The question of long term storage comes up quite frequently. First let me say that I do not recommend freezing water kefir grains. I find they store better dehydrated. So these instructions are for freezing milk kefir grains.
- Strain the milk kefir grains from the kefir.
- Gently rinse the grains with fresh clean water.
- Blot your milk kefir grains gently with a paper towel to soak up most of the water.
- place the grains in a small mason jar or zip lock bag
- Add a couple of tablespoons of milk powder.
- Pop into the freezer.
I don't know how long the grains will stay viable like this. I have kept some in the freezer for 2 years and they worked when I took them out.
If you are interested in other ways to safely store milk kefir or water kefir grains, check out the links to the related posts directly below.